Police in Ilocos Norte are intensifying security preparations for the upcoming synchronized Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections on May 14.
Provincial police chief Senior Superintendent Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said police visibility was ramped up especially in areas prone to election-related violence.
“The security preparedness plan is continuous as the Barangay and SK elections had been postponed twice in 2016 and 2017,” Nartatez said(http://northboundasia.com/2018/04/12/ilocos-norte-pnp-gears-up-for-may-14-polls/).
Last April 10, authorities in the province attended a Provincial Joint and Security Control Center conference at Camp Valentin S. Juan.
The conference tackled details on security coverage for the May 14 polls. In attendance conference were representatives of the Department of Interior and Local Government and law enforcement agencies.
Commission on Elections officer Robert Fernandez (Sarrat), who presided over the meeting, gave reminders for the elections.
The meeting also took up firearms and security risks, threat assessment, case tracking and status of targeted threats, security strategies, defense measures and communication operations.
Comelec Resolution No. 10246 sets the filing of certificates of candidacy from April 14 to 20. It set the election campaign period from April 14 to May 21.
During the election period, carrying of firearms or other deadly weapons will be prohibited. So are:
– alteration of precincts or establishment of new precincts
– use of security personnel or bodyguards by candidates
– transfer of officers and employees in the civil service
– suspension of any elective local officer.